1. Beautiful makeup starts with great skincare! Your skin needs to be clean, fresh and moisturized before you start your makeup! If you’re struggling with acne, be sure to read our Acne 101 post here:
Pimples, Zits and Blackheads…Oh My!
2. Start with your eye makeup! This might seem backwards, but if you’re applying eye shadow or even powder eyeliner, it will sprinkle down on your face and ruin the rest of your makeup. So, do your eye shadow and eyeliner first. We still like to save eyebrows and mascara for later, but do the powdery stuff on your eyes, then wipe away whatever residue falls on your face before applying the rest of your makeup.
3. Before we apply face powder or foundation of any kind, we like to start with primer! Primer smooths the skin, it helps conceal imperfections, it creates a prettier finish, and it makes your makeup last all day! Our favorite is by Smashbox.
If you have sensitive or acne-prone skin, try the Smashbox Photo Finish Foundation Primer LIGHT.
If you aren’t acne prone, you can go with the original formula.
4. Be extra careful when choosing foundation, or the base of your face makeup. Two things are important when it comes to foundation: 1.) You must pick a color that matches your skin perfectly 2.) You need to choose just the right type or formula. For color matching, go somewhere like Sephora and get as much help as possible matching the color to your skin! Try it on in the store. We strongly suggest walking outside with a mirror to see how the makeup looks on your skin in the natural light. To choose the right type, you must educate yourself and know the differences before you go shopping. It’s also helpful to shop somewhere that will allow you to return whatever you’re not satisfied with. Sometimes nailing down the right makeup formula takes several tries before you find your favorite.
5. Never overlook your eyebrows! Eyebrows might just be the most important and overlooked step in a makeup routine. Eyebrows frame your face! If you have light hair, this step is especially important for you! Always fill in your eyebrows, ladies!